Table Of Contents
- 1. Welcome to Object Astra!
- 2. About Creating an Account
- 3. Things You Definitely Shouldn’t Do
- 4. How Projects Work
- 5. Stuff We Don’t Do and Aren’t Responsible For
- 6. Our Fees
- 7. Other Websites
- 8. Your Intellectual Property
- 9. Object Astra’s Intellectual Property
- 10. How We Deal with Copyright Issues
- 11. Deleting Your Account
- 12. Our Rights
- 13. Warranty Disclaimer
- 14. Indemnification
- 15. Limitation of Liability
- 16. Dispute Resolution and Governing Law
- 17. The Rest
1. Welcome to Object Astra!
2. About Creating an Account
You must be 18 or over to sign up for an Object Astra account. You’re responsible for your account and all the activity on it.
You can browse Object Astra without registering for an account. But to use some of Object Astra’s functions, you’ll need to register, choose a username and set a password. When you do that, the information you give us has to be accurate and complete. Don’t impersonate anyone else or choose names that are offensive or that violate anyone’s rights. If you don’t follow these rules, we may cancel your account.
You’re responsible for all the activity on your account and for keeping your password confidential. If you find out that someone used your account without your permission, you should report it to email@example.com. To sign up for an account, you need to be at least 18 years old, or old enough to form a binding contract where you live. If necessary, we may ask you for proof of age.
3. Things You Definitely Shouldn’t Do
This section is a list of things you probably already know you shouldn’t do — lie, break laws, abuse people, steal data, hack other people’s computers and so on. Please behave yourself. Don’t do this stuff. We expect everyone who uses Object Astra to behave responsibly and help keep this a nice place. Don’t do any of these things on the Site:
- Don’t break the law. Don’t take any action that infringes or violates other people’s rights, violates the law, or breaches any contract or legal duty you have toward anyone.
- Don’t lie to people. Don’t post information you know is false, misleading, or inaccurate. Don’t do anything deceptive or fraudulent.
- Don’t offer prohibited items. Don’t offer any rewards that are illegal, violate any of Object Astra’s policies, rules, or guidelines, or violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, or regulation.
- Don’t victimize anyone. Don’t do anything threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, tortious, obscene, profane, or invasive of another person’s privacy.
- Don’t spam. Don’t distribute unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material, or any junk mail, spam, or chain letters. Don’t run mail lists, listservs, or any kind of auto-responder or spam on or through the Site.
- Don’t harm anyone’s computer. Don’t distribute software viruses, or anything else (code, films, programs) designed to interfere with the proper function of any software, hardware, or equipment on the Site (whether it belongs to Object Astra or another party).
- Don’t abuse other users’ personal information. When you use Object Astra — and especially if you create a successful project — you may receive information about other users, including things like their names, email addresses, and postal addresses. This information is provided for the purpose of participating in an Object Astra project: don’t use it for other purposes, and don’t abuse it.
- Don’t try to interfere with the proper workings of the Services.
- Don’t bypass any measures we’ve put in place to secure the Services.
- Don’t try to damage or get unauthorised access to any system, data, password, or other information, whether it belongs to Object Astra or another party.
- Don’t take any action that imposes an unreasonable load on our infrastructure, or on our third-party providers. We reserve the right to determine what’s reasonable.
- Don’t use any kind of software or device (whether it’s manual or automated) to “crawl” or “spider” any part of the Site.
- Don’t take apart or reverse engineer any aspect of Object Astra in an effort to access things like source code, underlying ideas, or algorithms.
- We can use the Content you’ve submitted. You grant to us, and others acting on our behalf, the worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable, transferable right to use, exercise, commercialise, and exploit the copyright, publicity, trademark, and database rights with respect to your Content. In general, we use this Content to promote projects and showcase our community on the website. There are many factors that we take into consideration before featuring a project on the homepage. This includes, but is not limited to, a crisp project image with no logos, badges, or text on top, a clear and detailed description that includes a thorough plan for completing your project, captivating images or videos, an excited community, what we think different users will be interested in, and of course, a lot of creativity. The projects at the very top of the homepage are typically based on factors such as creative innovation, honesty, and alignment with Object Astra’s mission and charter — but we also use algorithms to surface popular projects, projects your friends have backed and launched, and projects recommended just for you. We may also recommend projects that are gaining traction as a result of their creator’s own advertising, and/or on the basis of a user’s prior search terms, browsing history, project backings and other interactions, and cookies we have collected during their visits to our website.
- When we use the Content, we can make changes, like editing or translating it. You grant us the right to edit, modify, reformat, excerpt, delete, or translate any of your Content.
- You won’t submit stuff you don’t hold the copyright for (unless you have permission). Your Content will not contain third-party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third-party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material, or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material (and to grant Object Astra all the license rights outlined here).
- Any royalties or licensing on your Content are your responsibility. You will pay all royalties and other amounts owed to any person or entity based on your Content, or on Object Astra’s hosting of that Content.
- You promise that if we use your Content, we’re not violating anyone’s rights or copyrights. If Object Astra or its users exploit or make use of your submission in the ways contemplated in this agreement, you promise that this will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party, including (without limitation) any privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, or any other intellectual property or proprietary rights.
- You’re responsible for the stuff you post. All information submitted to the Site, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person from whom that Content originated.
- We’re not responsible for mistakes in your Content. Object Astra will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any Content.
- We can make changes to the Object Astra Site and Services without notice or liability.
- We have the right to decide who’s eligible to use Object Astra. We may in limited circumstances impose restrictions or limitations on accounts, or — for particularly significant or repeated violations of our Terms or any other rules on the Site, like our Community Guidelines and rules for starting projects — we may cancel accounts or decline to offer our Services (especially if you’re abusing them). We can change our eligibility criteria at any time. If these things are prohibited by law where you live, then we revoke your right to use Object Astra in that jurisdiction.
- We have the right to reject, cancel, interrupt, remove, or suspend any project at any time and for any reason.
We also need to make sure that the Site is secure and our systems function properly. So don’t do any of these things — most of which boil down to “don’t mess with our system”.
4. How Projects Work
Object Astra provides a platform for creative projects. When a creator posts a project on Object Astra, they’re inviting other people to form a collab with them. Anyone who comes on a project is accepting the creator’s offer and forming that collab.
Object Astra is not a part of this contract. The contract is a direct legal agreement between creators and their collab partners. Here are the terms that govern that agreement:
When a project is successfully fulfilled, the creator must complete the project and issue an equity or co-ownership statement to each collaborator. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their collaborators and the project will be filed in each counter part’s dashboard. From this point it is up to each respective party to ensure the success of the project. Object Astra is not responsible for the project’s success or failure. Object Astra’s platform solely creates a place where these introductions are made and encouraged. Throughout the process, both creators and collaborators owe their counterparts a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication. At the same time, collaborators must understand that they’re not buying something when they agree to collaborate on a project — they’re helping to create something new through effort in exchange for co-ownership or equity.
If a collaborator decides to leave a project, this needs to be communicated politely and clearly to the project owner. The project owner can then remove said collaborator’s profile from the project. Settlement or pay-out or exercise of terms agreed need to happen outside of Object Astra. The settlement of and detail of this agreement is not Object Astra’s responsibility, and needs to be dealt with in private by the collaborator/s and the project owner. The collaborator’s equity or percentage ownership of that particular project will then be returned to the project owner.
A project owner cannot remove a collaborator without prior notice and consent of said collaborator/s. The terms of removal, and agreement thereof, are not Object Astra’s responsibility and need to be dealt with in private. Once agreed the project owner may remove the collaborator’s profile immediately or after a certain number of days have lapsed. (Normally 7 days.)
If a project owner decided to leave a project, they need to notify all collaborators involved in the project. All agreements of said departure are not Object Astra’s responsibility and will need to be dealt with in private. The project owner can leave immediately if all collaborators agree or after a certain number of days once their intentions were made clear. (Normally 7 days.)
The equity or co-ownership percentage held by the project owner will transfer equally to the remaining collaborator/s. The collaborator with the majority in equity/co-ownership percentage will become the project owner.
In an instance where two collaborator’s own the same amount of equity or co-ownership percentage, it is up to the collaborators to agree who takes ownership. Once agreed by both parties, Object Astra will update.
5. Stuff We Don’t Do and Aren’t Responsible For
We don’t oversee projects’ performance, and we don’t mediate disputes between users.
Object Astra isn’t liable for any damages or losses related to your use of the Services. We don’t become involved in disputes between users, or between users and any third party relating to the use of the Services. We don’t oversee the performance or punctuality of projects, and we don’t endorse any content users submit to the Site. When you use the Services, you release Object Astra from claims, damages, and demands of every kind — known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed — arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and the Services. All content you access through the Services is at your own risk. You’re solely responsible for any resulting damage or loss to any party.
6. Our Fees
We only charge a monthly membership fee.
Creating an account on Object Astra is free. However, to make full use of Object Astra and use its services, you must set up a membership that's charged monthly. The fee is calculated per location, but we will never charge you more than $2 incl. VAT. unless otherwise stated. We will not collect any fees without giving you a chance to review and accept them. If our fees ever change, we’ll announce that on our Site. You’re responsible for paying any additional fees or taxes associated with your use of Object Astra.
7. Other Websites
If you follow a link to another website, what happens there is between you and them, not us.
Object Astra may contain links to other websites (for instance, project pages, user profiles and direct messages may link to other sites). When you access third-party websites, you do so at your own risk. We don’t control or endorse those sites.
Object Astra partners with other companies (such as Stripe) for payment processing. When you back or create a project, you’re also agreeing to the payment processor’s terms of service.
8. Your Intellectual Property
We don't own the content you post on Object Astra, but we do have your permission to use or copy it however we need. We generally use it to promote projects and showcase our community. Ultimately, you're responsible for the content you post, and you're vouching to us that it's ok to use.
Object Astra doesn’t own content you submit to us (your “Content”). But we do need certain licenses from you in order to perform our Services. When you submit a project for review, or launch a project, you agree to these terms:
9. Object Astra’s Intellectual Property
The content on Object Astra is protected in various ways. You do have the right to use it for certain personal purposes, but you can’t use it for anything commercial without getting permission first.
Object Astra’s Services are legally protected in various ways, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, patents, trade secrets, and other rights and laws. You agree to respect all copyright and other legal notices, information, and restrictions contained in any content accessed through the Site. You also agree not to change, translate, or otherwise create derivative works of the Service.
Object Astra grants you a license to reproduce content from the Services for personal use only. This license covers both Object Astra’s own protected content and user-generated content on the Site. This license is worldwide, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, and non-transferable. If you want to use, reproduce, modify, distribute, or store any of this content for a commercial purpose, you need prior written permission from Object Astra or the relevant copyright holder. A “commercial purpose” means you intend to use, sell, license, rent, or otherwise exploit content for commercial use, in any way.
10. How We Deal with Copyright Issues
We comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. To learn more about how we deal with claims of copyright infringement, read our Copyright Policy.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act lays out a system of legal requirements for dealing with allegations of copyright infringement, Object Astra complies with the DMCA, and we respond to notices of alleged infringement if they comply with the law and the requirements set forth in our Copyright Policy. We reserve the right to delete or disable content alleged to be infringing, and to terminate accounts for repeat infringers (we do this when appropriate and at our sole discretion).
If you’d like to submit a claim of copyright infringement, please visit our Copyright Policy. Our designated agent for notice of alleged copyright infringement can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "COPYRIGHT".
11. Deleting Your Account
You can delete your account at any time, but doing so won’t automatically remove some content you’ve already posted.
You can terminate your account at any time through your account settings. We may retain certain information as required by law or as necessary for our legitimate business purposes. All provisions of this agreement survive termination of an account, including our rights regarding any content you’ve already submitted to the Site (for instance, if you’ve launched a project, deleting your account will not automatically remove the project from the Site). You can contact us at email@example.com for additional information or to request project page deletion (this is not available in all circumstances).
12. Our Rights
To operate, we need to be able to maintain control over what happens on our website. So in this section, we reserve the right to make decisions to protect the health and integrity of our system. We don’t take these powers lightly, and we only use them when we absolutely have to.
To protect the health and integrity of our system and to help ensure that users enjoy a safe and secure environment, Object Astra reserves these rights:
Object Astra is not liable for any damages as a result of any of these actions.
It is our general policy not to comment on the reasons for any such action. However, if we impose restrictions on or limit a verified account holder’s access to any of our Services or if we intend to cancel a verified account, we will let the account holder know the reasons for this action and how they can remedy any issues (where appropriate), unless we’re prohibited from doing so by law or in the interest of safety. For account cancellations, we will let the account holder know the reasons for this action at least 30 days in advance, unless we’re cancelling for reasons related to illicit or inappropriate content, the safety of a good or service, counterfeiting, fraud, malware, spam, data breaches, other cybersecurity risks, or the suitability of a good or service for minors.
13. Warranty Disclaimer
We work hard to provide you with great services, but we can’t guarantee everything will always work perfectly. This site is presented as-is, without warranties.
You use our Services solely at your own risk. They are provided to you “as is” and “as available” and without warranty of any kind, express or implied.
OBJECT ASTRA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ANY WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY ANY COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, OR USAGE OF TRADE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION (ORAL OR WRITTEN) OBTAINED BY YOU FROM OBJECT ASTRA SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
If you do something on Object Astra that winds up getting us sued, you have to help defend us.
If you do something that gets us sued, or break any of the promises you make in this agreement, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us harmless from all liabilities, claims, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and other legal costs) that arise from or relate to your use or misuse of Object Astra. We reserve the right to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to this indemnification clause, in which case you agree that you’ll cooperate and help us in asserting any defenses.
15. Limitation of Liability
If something bad happens as a result of your using Object Astra, we’re not liable (beyond a small amount).
To the fullest extent permitted by law, in no event will Object Astra, its directors, employees, partners, suppliers, or content providers be liable for any indirect, incidental, punitive, consequential, special, or exemplary damages of any kind, including but not limited to damages (i) resulting from your access to, use of, or inability to access or use the Services; (ii) for any lost profits, data loss, or cost of procurement or substitute goods or services; or (iii) for any conduct of content of any third party on the Site. In no event shall Object Astra’s liability for direct damages be in excess of (in the aggregate) one hundred British Pounds (£100.00).
16. Dispute Resolution and Governing Law
We’re located in London, and any disputes with us have to be handled in London under English law.
We at Object Astra encourage you to contact us if you’re having an issue before resorting to the courts. Our Object Astra support team is on hand and ready to answer your questions. You can visit our Help Center to find articles with information that may resolve your issue. If you still have questions, you can click “Contact us” in the Help Center or email firstname.lastname@example.org so that one of our support team agents can personally reply to you and attempt to resolve your issue. These resources are easily accessible and free.
If you’re a creator based in the European Union and, after contacting us through those channels, you still don’t feel as if your issue has been resolved, we may agree with you to engage in mediation to resolve any complaints in good faith. You may address your complaint with one of these two mediation organizations:
In the unfortunate situation where legal action does arise, these Terms (and all other rules, policies, or guidelines incorporated by reference) will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law, and without application of the Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act or the United Nations Convention of Controls for International Sale of Goods. You agree that Object Astra and its Services are deemed a passive website that does not give rise to jurisdiction over Object Astra or its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, assigns, employees, agents, directors, officers, or shareholders, either specific or general, in any jurisdiction other than the United Kingdom. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to these Terms, or your use or non-use of Object Astra, shall be filed only in the courts located in London in the United Kingdom, and you hereby consent and submit to the personal jurisdiction of these courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. You hereby irrevocably waive any right you may have to trial by jury in any dispute, action, or proceeding.
17. The Rest
These are our official terms and our rules for how things work. You can verify any confusing or conflicting information you see elsewhere by referencing what we’ve explained on this page.
These Terms and the other material referenced in them are the entire agreement between you and Object Astra with respect to the Services. They supersede all other communications and proposals (whether oral, written, or electronic) between you and Object Astra with respect to the Services and govern our future relationship. If any provision of these Terms is found to be invalid under the law, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that the Terms otherwise will remain in full force and effect and enforceable. The failure of either you or Object Astra to exercise any right provided for in these Terms in any way won’t be deemed a waiver of any other rights.
These Terms are personal to you. You can’t assign them, transfer them, or sublicense them unless you get Object Astra’s prior written consent. Object Asta has the right to assign, transfer, or delegate any of its rights and obligations under these Terms without your consent. Object Astra will provide you notice via email, written notice, or by conspicuously posting the notice on our Site.